FROM PRESIDENT DR. MIKE SMITH

Dr. Mike Smith, President - 903.589.7106 - msmith@jacksonville-college.edu

Everybody Needs Somebody

Everybody Needs Somebody

By DR. MIKE SMITH

President of Jacksonville College

“Bear ye one another’s burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2).

Have you ever stopped and thanked God for the people that He has brought into your life? In His providence, God orchestrated people to cross your path. You needed these people. God has brought such people into my life as well.

My parents had a great influence on my life. My father taught me to have a strong work ethic. My mother showed me refreshing moments of laughter.

My partner in marriage of 44 years, Susan, has had a tremendous influence. She has encouraged and comforted me and counseled me toward the right decisions. My children and grandchildren have been such a blessing.

My places of ministry have allowed me to grow in my walk with God. I’ve been blessed with diverse places of ministry. Each contributed to my spiritual formation. The failures, as well as the successes, have shaped me.

Through the years, my personal friends have helped not only to encourage me but also to chip off the rough edges by being honest with me. Every Wednesday, for fourteen years, I could be found at the Dairy Queen on Highway 79. My seat was a corner booth. My meal was a $0.99 breakfast of biscuits, sausage gravy, and a lot of coffee. My friends surrounded me. After fourteen years, we could tell by the countenance on each other’s face if comfort or conviction was needed.

I thank God for the people who have born my burdens over the years.

Since 1899, Jacksonville College has existed because God led alumni, friends, and churches to help carry the burdens of a Christian college. I have not met all the individuals who have prayed for and offered financial support to the College, but I am deeply grateful for each one of them.

Bear Ye One Another’s Burdens

This semester, friends of Jacksonville College have donated the funds necessary to make the following purchases:

$8,500 for a power generator for IT equipment

$2,000 for a digital keyboard

$2,000 for sound system equipment and training for Buckner Chapel

$1,500 for a graphic wrap for the equipment trailer used by the choir and golf teams

$2,175 for campus Scripture art

We are blessed that God has provided for Jacksonville College through the gifts of many good friends, and we are thankful for gifts of any amount. Please consider making a gift to Jacksonville College to meet the following needs:

$5,000 for the replacement of the cafeteria sewer line (interior grey water lines). $545 has been given to date.

$300 for a body weight scale for the weight room

$750 for a Nikon digital camera for Public Relations

$1,000 for the Spring 2018 Academic/Athletic Banquet

$400 for a receiver hitch for Van #5